History

 

Mt St Joseph Abbey, Roscrea, 1946
 
In June 1952, Cardinal Norman Gilroy, Archbishop of Sydney, visited Mount Saint Joseph Abbey, Roscrea in Ireland and formally requested its abbot, Dom Camillus Claffey that he make a foundation in the Archdiocese of Sydney, Australia. Father Eugene Boylan went to investigate the possibilities of acquiring a suitable property in September 1953.
 
     
Dom Camillus and Cardinal Gilroy               Fr (later Dom) Eugene Boylan
 
After eight months searching for a suitable property in the various dioceses of New South Wales, Fr Eugene came south to Victoria. Several decades previously, Archbishop Daniel Mannix of Melbourne had invited Roscrea to make a foundation in his archdiocese. In August 1954, Dom Camillus arrived to assist in the process and was accompanied by Fr Carthage O’Dea.
 
Archbishop Daniel Mannix
at the blessing of the Tarrawarra Church
 
On the afternoon of 5 August 1954, the party inspected the property of Tarrawarra and instantly concluded that this was the spot for a monastery. With some financial help from the archdiocese in the form of an interest-free loan and with donations from benefactors, the property was purchased. It comprised of four hundred hectares, on traditional land of the Wurundjeri people. A large house built by David Syme in 1900 became the nucleus of the monastic buildings.
 
The founders of Tarrawarra Abbey with Dom Camillus 
 
 

The monks took legal possession of Tarrawarra on 1 November 1954 and began to move in, having lodged previously at “Comely Bank” in Healesville by the kindness of the Sisters of Charity. Fr Cronan Sherry was the first superior. On 6 November 1954, Dom Camillus celebrated the first Mass at Tarrawarra. In 1958, Tarrawarra was raised to abbey status and Dom Kevin O'Farrell was elected as the first abbot, a position he held for thirty years until his resignation in 1988. He was succeeded by Dom David Tomlins.

  
Fr Cronan Sherry
 
      
Dom Kevin O'Farrell     Dom David Tomlins 
 
Tarrawarra was founded in a time of great financial austerity, and for many years, the community laboured under the burden of debt. Thanks to a bequest from the Sutton family in South Australia, the monks were able to clear the accumulated interest and to begin reducing the debt. Over the years, the church, refectory, living quarters, workshops, library, etc were built.  
 
 
Tarrawarra had the joy of adopting Kurisumala Ashram in India as a daughter-house in 1998 and helping it through the various stages to be incorporated into the Cistercian Order.
 
 
Monks of Kurisumala Ashram with Dom David 
 

 
 
NEWS
Change of Schedule 20-26 August 2015

The monks will be on retreat from 20-26 August 2015. Please remember them in your prayers. Sche..

read more..